CISRS has introduced a mandatory New Entrant Trainee and Scaffolding Labourer course into the scheme.
The CISRS One Day COTS Course is a requirement for any new CISRS Scaffolding Trainee or Scaffolding Labourer card and for Scaffolding Labourer card renewals . The CISRS card must be applied for within 2 years of taking the COTS course. A CISRS Trainee or Labourer card must be held for at least 6 months before a delegate can attend the Part 1 course.
The COTS course is available at most CISRS accredited centres across the UK. Alternatively, Scaffolding Contractors can apply to deliver COTS ‘in-house’ by a suitably qualified member of staff provided they have the facilities exist to carry out the training. Any scaffolding company wishing to do ‘in-house’ training will be required to make an application to CISRS to deliver this course, and will have their eligibility assessed before being allowed to conduct the courses.
The CISRS New Entrant Labourer course includes:
- Relevant Regulations and Codes of Practice
- General Responsibilities
- Basic Scaffold Terminology (Components & Application)
- Servicing of Equipment, Tube, Fittings etc.
- Boards & Stock – Quality Control
- Health, Welfare, Hygiene & Housekeeping
- Electrical Safety
- Fire Prevention & Control
- Noise & Vibration
- Work at Height
- Accident Prevention & Reporting
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Site Transport Safety (Including Loading & Unloading)
- Equipment & Tools
- Manual Handling (Including a practical element)
- Lifting Equipment Using a Rope & Wheel
- Questions/Test Paper
Operatives wishing to apply for the New Entrant Trainee/Scaffolding Labourer card must also hold a CITB – Construction Skills Health, Safety and Environment Test taken within 2 years (or possess a recognised exemption).
CISRS scaffolding labourers will be required to repeat this course on a five yearly cycle – as refresher training prior to renewing their card. Existing CISRS Scaffolding Labourer cardholders will be required to complete the course upon expiry of their current card and prior to a new card being issued as part of a new ‘CISRS Scaffolding Labourer Refresher Training’ scheme.
CISRS Training Manager, David Mosley said: “These new compulsory courses are a very welcome addition to the CISRS Scheme – teaching all new entrants and labourers the basics of the industry and how to keep safe when working with scaffolding and access solutions, whilst also making sure existing operatives are up to date. And prioritising safe practices at work can only be a positive move. This also helps the scaffolding sector meet the UKCG requirement that every operative must have received some formal training before being allowed onto their sites.”
Further Information about offering CISRS Operatives Training Scheme (COTS) ‘in-house’ is now available to download by clicking the link below
Those that make a successful application will be eligible to purchase The CISRS Operative Training Scheme (COTS) package which will include –
– CISRS Operative Training Scheme PowerPoint
– Lesson Plan
– Bank of Test Questions and Answers
– CISRS Certificate Template
– Course Record sheet
– SG6 Manual Handling DVD
– HSE Introduction to Scaffold film
– A selection of relevant NASC guidance notes for the instructors reference.